Episode 17: Nikhil Arora
Meet Nikhil, Co-Founder of Back To The Roots, a company which creates and sells grow-at-home Mushroom Gardens, as well as a self-cleaning AquaFarm. Nikhil and his business partner, Alex, met their senior year at UC Berkley and went from being future investment bankers, to urban farmers and entrepreneurs. Find out how Back To The Roots is becoming a Big Time Small Business!
- Southern States Insurance is an independent insurance agency with a team who knows how to protect small businesses. We have access to numerous carriers and have the ability to tailor a unique coverage fit to your needs. To get a free insurance program review for your small business, contact us today..
- Audible.com: For you, the listeners of Big Time Small Business podcast, Audible is offering a free audiobook download with a free 30-day trial to give you the opportunity to check out their service. Download your free audiobook today!
The Definition of Success
Tune-in to hear how Nikhil defines success, remarking that one of their greatest successes is their team. “It’s so exciting to go from just Alex and I, to supporting employees and their families,” Nikhil says.
Big Time Business Blooper
“We launched our Aquafarm last year on KickStarter… We got caught up in this pressure to deliver with more orders than predicted, so we didn’t have our first pump developed well enough. Half of our pumps failed within the first three weeks,” Nikhil recalls of a business blooper. Listen to hear how Back To The Roots handled this potential customer service nightmare.
- “Do what you love, with the people you love”
The Road To “Big Time”
What is Back To The Roots doing to become Big Time? Nikhil explains that they are continuing to develop new products that will get the next generation excited about reconnecting with the roots of where their food comes from. He goes on to talk about the products they will be launching next April.
Recommended Small Business Tools
- ZenPayroll is a delightful, modern payroll. Its full-service payroll solution that is simple and intuitive to use, letting you focus on running your business.
- Rapportive shows you everything about your contacts right inside your inbox. You can connect with them on LinkedIn without ever having to leave Gmail.
- The Alchemist – 10th Anniversary Edition by Paulo Coehlo
- Food Rules: An Eater’s Manual by Michael Pollan
- Cooked: A Natural History of Transformation by Michael Pollan