Episode 6: ArtLifting
Meet Liz and Spencer Powers, founders of ArtLifing, a social enterprise solution for homeless and disabled artists. ArtLifting gives these disadvantaged artists the opportunity to showcase and sell their work in a professional gallery. Listen to hear the inspiring story this brother-sister team has to share about their startup and be sure to check out their KickStarter Campaign below!
[button link=”https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/artlifting/artlifting-empower-homeless-disabled-artists-in-5″ color=”green” size=”small” target=”_blank” title=”” gradient_colors=”,” gradient_hover_colors=”,” border_width=”1px” border_color=”” text_color=”” shadow=”yes” animation_type=”0″ animation_direction=”down” animation_speed=”0.1″]Kickstarter Campaign[/button]
- Southern States Insurance is an independent insurance agency with a team who knows how to protect small businesses. We have access to numerous carriers and have the ability to tailor a unique coverage fit to your needs. To get a free insurance program review for your small business, contact us today..
- Audible.com: For you, the listeners of Big Time Small Business podcast, Audible is offering a free audiobook download with a free 30-day trial to give you the opportunity to check out their service. Download your free audiobook today!
The Definition of Success
Liz and Spencer define success as “Making an impact on our artists lives.” They believe that something as simple as a sincere thank-you from an artist makes them successful.
Big Time Business Blooper
Listen as they tell their story about how a winter storm disrupted some shipments in their first year of business, and learn how quick thinking and great customer service saved the day. This is one story you won’t want to miss!
“Be the change you wish to see in the world” – Ghandi
The Road To “Big Time”
What is ArtLifting doing to become a Big Time Small Business? “Our number one goal is to grow and help homeless individuals, not just in Boston, but eventually across the world,” Spencer explains. Liz and Spencer plan on doing this by beginning a Kickstarter campaign to initiate ArtLifting in D.C., San Francisco, Detroit, Chicago, and N.Y.C. They also spend a lot of their time connecting with local business owners to spread the word about their company throughout the community.
Recommended Small Business Tools
- Skype lets you make internet calls for free and cheap online calls to phones. This is the tool Liz uses most to connect with artists and customers.
- Google Drive allows you to create and share your work online and access it from anywhere. You can manage documents, spreadsheets, presentations, surveys and more!
- Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling
- Little Bets: How Breakthrough Ideas Emerge from Small Discoveries by Peter Sims
- The Lean Startup: How Today’s Entrepreneurs Use Continuous Innovation to Create Radically Successful Businesses by Eric Ries
[button link=”http://www.audibletrack.com/click.track?CID=102175&AFID=313277&ADID=404210&SID=” color=”green” size=”small” target=”_blank” title=”” gradient_colors=”,” gradient_hover_colors=”,” border_width=”1px” border_color=”” text_color=”” shadow=”yes” animation_type=”0″ animation_direction=”down” animation_speed=”0.1″]Your Free Audio Book[/button]
Doing It Over Again
Spencer and Liz discuss the fact that since their company is so young, big mistakes and regrets aren’t as clear to them yet. Listen to hear more on their hopes for the future of ArtLifting.
Getting In Touch
Want more of Spencer, Liz and ArtLifting? You can find out more about their company at www.ArtLifting.com