Episode 11: PJ Jonas
Meet PJ Jonas, creator of Goat Milk Stuff, a company that offers handmade goat milk soap and related products made with raw milk from Alpine dairy goats. Being a wife and home-schooling mom of 8 kids, PJ saw the need for a soap that wasn’t full of harmful chemicals, and decided to utilize their family dairy goats to make all natural soap. Using word of mouth and local marketing, PJ and her WHOLE family (yes all 10 of them) have turned Goat Milk Stuff into a Big Time Small Business!
- Southern States Insurance is an independent insurance agency with a team who knows how to protect small businesses. We have access to numerous carriers and have the ability to tailor a unique coverage fit to your needs. To get a free insurance program review for your small business, contact us today..
- Audible.com: For you, the listeners of Big Time Small Business podcast, Audible is offering a free audiobook download with a free 30-day trial to give you the opportunity to check out their service. Download your free audiobook today!
The Definition of Success
“For me success is really simple,” PJ says. She goes on to explain that finding work that’s meaningful that her and her family can do together is what makes her successful, and that at the end of the day, it’s not about the bottom line.
Big Time Business Blooper
Listen to find out why PJ says their biggest mistake has been with hiring employees, and how important it is to carefully select people who fit into the culture of their workplace.
“I’ve never met a problem I couldn’t solve.”
The Road To “Big Time”
What makes Goat Milk Stuff a Big Time Small Business? PJ explains that it goes back to their name, Goat Milk Stuff. “We started off with soap, but I want to begin to launch the food side of the business, including Goat Milk Fudge and Goat Milk Caramel.”
Recommended Small Business Tools
- Google Drive allows you to create and share your work online and access it from anywhere. You can manage documents, spreadsheets, presentations, surveys and more!
- Evernote is a place where you can bring your life’s work together in one digital workspace. You can write notes of all types- from short lists to lengthy research- and collect all sorts of inspirational ideas.
- Lady on the Hill: How Biltmore Estate Became an American Icon by Howard E. Covington Jr.
[button link=”http://www.audibletrack.com/click.track?CID=102175&AFID=313277&ADID=404210&SID=” color=”green” size=”small” target=”_blank” title=”” gradient_colors=”,” gradient_hover_colors=”,” border_width=”1px” border_color=”” text_color=”” shadow=”yes” animation_type=”0″ animation_direction=”down” animation_speed=”0.1″]Your Free Audio Book[/button]
Doing It Over Again
What would PJ do differently if she had to start over again? “I would have gone into the hiring aspect from the start with a lot more knowledge… I would begin with the end in mind,” she says.