Meet LiLing, CEO and Editor of Trekaroo, a travel website that includes reviews on travel with kids, family fun, kid activities, kid-friendly hotels, resorts and vacation packages for your family trips. LiLing saw there was a lack of community online for families to share their travel experiences, which prompted her to create Trekaroo. Tune-in to this episode to find out how her company has flourished!
- Southern States Insurance is an independent insurance agency with a team who knows how to protect small businesses. We have access to numerous carriers and have the ability to tailor a unique coverage fit to your needs. To get a free insurance program review for your small business, contact us today..
- Audible.com: For you, the listeners of Big Time Small Business podcast, Audible is offering a free audiobook download with a free 30-day trial to give you the opportunity to check out their service. Download your free audiobook today!
The Definition of Success
As an entrepreneur, LiLing defines success as, “Building a company that has a positive impact on the world.” Listen to find out how her definition of success differs for her company as a whole!
Big Time Business Blooper
“Back in 2010 when the company was in turmoil, we saw our team (5 full-time staff at the time) progressively shrink to one full-time founder (me) because we were not making enough money,” LiLing explains. Tune in to hear the rest of her story, and how what appeared to be their biggest failure launched them into their biggest strength.
- “Do one thing every day that scares you.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
The Road To “Big Time”
What makes Trekaroo a Big Time Small Business? LiLing explains, “The first five years of Trekaroo were very much focused on building a product… moving forward we really are trying to focus on creating a healthy revenue stream by leveraging our skills; We’re moving more into a consulting capacity.”
Recommended Small Business Tools
- Teux Deux is a mobile app that helps you stay on top of your to-do lists. The idea was to build a bare-bones, but visually compelling and highly usable to-do app: Use the browser-based TeuxDeux at work/home and then take your to-dos on the road with the iPhone app. Yay for checking things off!
- WordPress lets you create a free website or easily build a blog with hundreds of free, customizable, mobile-ready designs and themes.
- Built to Last: Successful Habits of Visionary Companies (Harper Business Essentials) by Jim Collins and Jerry Porras
[button link=”http://www.audibletrack.com/click.track?CID=102175&AFID=313277&ADID=404210&SID=” color=”green” size=”small” target=”_blank” title=”” gradient_colors=”,” gradient_hover_colors=”,” border_width=”1px” border_color=”” text_color=”” shadow=”yes” animation_type=”0″ animation_direction=”down” animation_speed=”0.1″]Your Free Audio Book[/button]
Doing It Over Again
What would LiLing do differently if she had to start over? “I would hire an excellent designer. We tried to hire a couple of designers early on, and no one quite worked out… I ended up designing the website myself, and it was difficult. It’s hard to overestimate the value of a good designer!”
Getting In Touch
Want more of LiLing and Trekaroo? You can check out the website at www.trekaroo.com